Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ishamael or Isaac Return?

I was reading in the word about when God promised Sarah a son by Abram after Sarah had already sent Hagar to sleep with her husband to give Abram a son.  Sarah was past the child bearing years, so she wanted to give Abram a son.  After Hagar conceived, Sarah began to despise her.  Isn't it funny how you want something that you know isn't God's perfect will and when it happens you despise it?  It's like telling my husband that I don't need anything for Valentine's Day.   I mean it at the time, but if he doesn't show up with something, I am terribly hurt!

I learned something very valuable through this.  Do you want an Ishmael blessing or an Isaac covenant?  Isaac was born of Sarah after she had made the mistake of not checking with God on her decision to send Abram with Hagar.  Because of her lack of pursuit for the will of God, she had to deal with the consequences.  I find it interesting, that God no where in this story takes offense.  Instead, she is shown grace.  Perhaps, He knew the intentions of her heart....who knows.  I've come to find that God isn't so concerned with cause and effect as much as He is about making sure that the ones that love him find the purpose behind the pain and barrenness.

Anyhow,  Hagar retreated into the wilderness because of the mistreatment she experienced from Sarah.  It seems she had every right to!  However, an angel appeared to her and said she must go back in order to receive blessings.  She could NOT retreat into wilderness (pitty) and experience blessing.  Although she was the victim, she must come back and live harmoniously!  Therefore, Ishmael experienced blessing from God.  I've found myself knowing that although there have been people that I could consider myself the victim with, God is saying DO NOT RETREAT, stay and live harmoniously!  That is where the blessing is!

Lastly, I learned that anyone can do a good deed and experience the fruit of it.  However, I want to consult God as to what I should do so that I can experience the covenant with God.  You can consult yourself about what is comfortable to do to make sure you are in good standing with works, or you can do what He says when you consult Him and experience covenant.  I would much rather have His covenant in my life than His blessing on my deeds.  Isaac represents the covenant because it was His master plan.  Ishmael represents blessing because it was done out of Sarah's will, not Gods.  Anyone can produce fruit, but I want my fruit to not be just a cause and effect, but relational with my Father.

Therefore, I will not run away and be timid.  I will show up and live harmoniously! I will seek out His will so that my fruit will be eternal and relational!  Perhaps, James meant something like this when he said "it is by faith and not works."  It is by our faith that we receive the beginnings of the fruit we must produce.  Also, that "you will know them by their fruit" has a new meaning to me.  Does a person have blessed fruit or covenential fruit?

James 2:22 - Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? (This is when Abraham sacrificed Isaac on the alter)

James 2:26 - For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

No comments:

Post a Comment