Monday, December 21, 2009

Friend vs Foe

Well, here I am again with another philosphical debate bouncing around in my head.......What is a friend?

I recently had a textersation (conversation though text) with a friend of mine that made me think.  I have a particular situation going on that is forcing me to once again be a true friend......a friend that is your friend when there is absolutely nothing to gain.  Please, no one read this and think it is you...because you may think it is, but you have no idea. ha

I tried to lie down and nap after this textersation, but I kept going over and over again in my head....Am I a true friend?....How come I have always known in my heart what that means, yet it is sooo hard to put into words when explaining it to someone else.  I immediately reverted back to my best friend, Dustin.  I asked myself how am I a friend to him, because I know my love for him is unselfish and unconditional.  It will never end.  I know that I love him to the point that I recognize when it is a good time to step up and address something and when it is a good time to just stand in support of his persuit and pray for God's light to bring a particular issue forward.  I'm his friend because I share everything with him.  I'm his friend because I'm always in persuit of what is in his best interest.....most of the time.  I feel that I'm his friend more so than I am his wife, because being my husband's friend is so much more time consuming and invovled than being his wife.  When I'm his friend, I then become his wife in the fewer times needed.  He needs me much less often to be his wife than to be his friend.  Don't get me wrong, I am fully aware of the responsibilities of being a wife.  My being his wife is first priority, yet I find myself succeeding in wifelyhood when I become the role of his best friend.  I hope this comes across the way I see it.

Anyways,  I ask myself again and again, am I doing with this particular person what a friend should be doing?  My heart says, "YES."

Webster says a friend is one attached to another by affection or esteem or a favored companion.  Therefore, I find myself in assurance that I am doing the right thing.  I favor this person in sparing their own agenda towards me in order for God's voice to be heard in his/her life.  If I were to just come out and be completely honest, I believe this situation would take a turn for the worst in more ways than one.  I truely know in my heart this is best for all.  I favor this person more than to let pettiness steal, kill, and destroy.  My love has never changed nor has my heart for good to envelope this individual.  I feel being a friend is so much more than surface...it's just plain spiritual.  

The bible says we don't wrestle again flesh and blood anways; therefore, I know that doing what I have to do to ward harm away is best.

Thanks friend for the textersation that led me to deep thought.  I know I have established what is right for me.


My pups sure know what friendship is about! ha

1 comment:

  1. I DO REALIZE THIS IS PERSONAL CONVICTION. I'M JUST EXPLAINING WHAT I HAVE FOUND FOR ME AT THIS POINT IN MY LIFE.

    ReplyDelete