Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas ....

So much has gone on in my life and head this Christmas.  On Christmas, I kept thinking about the brokeness that so many people are facing this holiday.  I couldn't fathom how much pain was being masked behind smiles and fellowship.  I think about my pastor, Steve Hill, and his family.  He is battling with treatments for cancer.  I saw a post that his wife, Jeri, made.  She mentioned that something to the effect that she was trying to embrace the joy and not to let heaviness come in.  I thought about all of the people that they have blessed and the difference they have made in countless lives.  My heart refused to be completely joyous and oblivious to pain being felt by my brothers and sisters in Christ.  I also thought about Chris Rogers, a young man battling cancer that had no insurance.  His meds are most than what most people could manage in a month, not to mention the cost of medical treatment and hospitialization.  I look at the picture of him and his wife, and I realize that Dustin and I aren't much different than they are. My heart breaks.  Click here to donate to Chris.  I also thought of Autumn Wyatt, a school teacher in the Dodson area that I have grown to love over the years.  She always has a bright smile and a positive attitude.  I ran into her mom at TJ Max, and I couldn't help but feel the remnants of worry. 

Because of all this plus the fact that my mind kept reverting to my poverty stricken kids from school, I just couldn't pretend like all was well with the world.  On the way to Rayville, Dustin and I prayed for the heaviness felt by our brothers and sisters.  I realized that this is what Christmas was all about.  Jesus came into the world to carry our burden.   I am so thankful that I am in maybe some small part allowed to help carry the burden for those less fortunate in this season.  I couldn't help but think that so much victory is going to come from all this pain, yet another reason Jesus came to us in the manger.  Only with Jesus, does such pain and heartbreak turn to unspeakable joy and unprecedented strength.

Today, we are heading home to Texas.  I need the time to get ready for teaching when school starts back.  I did have a great Christmas.  I am so thankful when God changes my plans.  There is no acceptance like knowing God wants to share something with you. What a beautiful Maker.

John 16:33
"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment