Wednesday, September 8, 2010

New Orleans Saints

In risk of this whole post sounding very cheesy, I hope to convey the message that I feel has motivated me to take my place even more as a christian.

I was watching a documentary on Saints Football, and they were talking about all of the drastic measures that the leadership goes to to ensure success.  Drew Brees, the quarterback missed a game earlier on in his career due to injury.  The coach saw him on the practice field throwing balls for hours alone.  The coach then asked him, "Why are you out here throwing balls, now?"  Drew's response was to the effect that my body knows I would normally be playing right now, I refuse to let it break routine.  Wow, this inspires me. 

How many times have I skipped out on prayer and evangelism opportunities due to a slight illness or fatigue?.. I am not saying we should be works oriented and feel that we HAVE to do these things as a christian. I am just saying our love for God should be so deeply rooted, that there is an unstoppable, unlimited amount of intrinsic motivation to do these things.  I know I have not arrived here yet; however, I certainly see the importance of striving for it.. You may be asking, "How do I strive for it?"  I feel God saying, "Seek me and you will find Me.  Find Me and you will experience the love necessary to link you to your destiny."

I watch videos of how the team interacts, from the players to the head coach.  If you watch, you will quickly see what the coach says goes.  If the players don't like it, tough.  There is zero tolerance for any backtalk or resistance towards the coach from any player. Why?  It's the players job to be the player.  It's the coach's job to be the coach.  I wish we could get this in the church. 

In the video below, I can't help but notice that the coach carries authority!  It is his job to pay attention to the details and schemes of the oponant.  Secondly, collaboration is KEY.  He is constantly communicating with the other coaches, those who are strategically placed beside him in battle! Victory does not come without TEAMWORK. 

NO Saints Video - watch now

I could pull endless videos and show endless parallels to the saints of the church by the NO Saints. haha

The main thing that I wanted to share was that I think it is time to recognize we are called into battle.  We MUST HAVE A GAMEPLAN, FIGURE OUT WHO IS ON OUR TEAM, AND ESTABLISH THE GOAL.  In some ways, being a football player is no different than a warrior for God.  We are so ignorant to fight blindly and in ignorance.  I say we better get down to business....as God permits, draws us, and equips us.

We are even better than football players.  Our cheerleaders are angels, our win is eternal, and our coach is PERFECT in every way.  We are more than conquorers because when we get down to it, all we have to do is listen to God's gameplans and strategies, and the battle is already won! I can't imagine how many football players would give everything to follow a team setup like this.

2 comments:

  1. i like it... good stuff! and perfect for this new football season that everyone is thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Jenna! I love what you write! Challenging and inspiring me to take it to the next level!

    ReplyDelete